Now that it’s gotten so chilly here in Canberra, The Boy and I decided to take a shot at doing our own steamboat!
We definitely can’t claim to be experts, but here’s what we used:
- portable gas stove (from Bunnings)
- big metal bowl with handles (from an Asian supermarket)
- broth: chicken stock with mushrooms and ginger (apparently you’re supposed to make your own stock from scratch, but we’re too lazy!)
- vegetables: choy sum, enoki, shitake, shimeji, tofu
- meats: thinly sliced beef, beef balls, fish balls
- thin egg noodles
- fresh cut chilli in soy sauce and hoi sin sauce for dipping
The frozen beef slices that we bought ended up being quite stringy – I’ve read that it’s best to find the freshest organic beef that you can, as you’re only cooking it for less than a minute in the broth. It definitely isn’t the cheapest of meals, but the fun of cooking everything a little at a time at the table together and the deliciousness is worth it!