I’m the kind of person who goes to the fabric store without much idea of what I want (or a backup plan if what I want isn’t there), so I’m loving the idea of the Colette Patterns Palette Challenges! The idea is that you create a moodboard for the next season based on any holes in your wardrobe and what’s in your fabric stash, then keep that in mind as a goal. My moodboard includes some things I want to make and some things I want to buy – I’m hoping that with a fairly fleshed out idea of what I want to add to my wardrobe this season I won’t be randomly buying patterns, fabric or new clothes without keeping the big picture in mind. Even if you’re not into making your own clothes, I think it’s a useful tool for figuring out your style and keeping on track with purchases.
Here’s my picks:
- bright/orangey red
from left column to middle to right
- Camel/beige trench – to purchase – hopefully secondhand, if I can find one… (Pinterest person didn’t add source link, naughty! Looks like J Crew styling?)
- Chunky maroon scarf – to knit – I’ve made a similar scarf, but I want this kind of chunkiness and length, plus the fringe edges. (via Stockholm Street Style)
- Dirndl style skirt – to sew – probably in red or a neutral colour. (tutorial via Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing)
- Fitted pants – to sew/purchase – I have a pants pattern but not sure if my skill level is up to it. Probably in maroon. (no source on Pinterest again sorry!)
- Beanie and wrist warmers – to knit – Loving the look of this yellow, though it might also look cute in mint. (free pattern via Pickles)
- Taffy blouse – to sew – From the Colette Patterns book, which I’ll eventually make my way through. This gold colour is lovely, or maybe in a rusty red. Actually if it’s not too tricky I might make this in multiple colours from my palette. (via Very Purple Person)
- Brown brogues – to buy – I’m sure I’ll find the perfect pair eventually… (Kate & Allie brogues via DesignGoods)
- Pastille dress – to sew – From the Colette Patterns book. I started this ages ago, and have just gotten back into it! I meant to have it for summer so it’s a bright raspberry pink, but I think it’ll be nice for those winter days when you need some bright colour. (via Colette Patterns)
- Licorice dress – to sew – From the Colette Patterns book. Thinking this will be cute in mint, or nice in navy. (via Colette Patterns)
- Peony dress – to sew – From Colette Patterns. I think the long sleeved version in navy with a contrasting white belt. (via Colette Patterns)
Obviously with 4 sewing projects and three knitting projects it’s quite likely I won’t get through them all… but I’ll be happy if I can just finish a couple of these things!
Got any big fashion or DIY plans for this season?