So last week I saw the Things I’m Afraid to Tell You post on Creature Comforts, talking about the vast difference between what bloggers present as reality versus true reality. With lifestyle and fashion blogs in particular I think it’s really easy to see all the beautiful images and think that these people are living these perfect lives, when that’s just one (heavily styled) version of reality. I don’t think that my blog comes across as anything like that since it’s quite a personal blog, but here’s a few secrets about me in case you’re under the impression I’m living a charmed life!
- I’ve had body-image issues most of my life (even when I was really very skinny) – nothing serious, but enough to dent my self-esteem and confidence. Sadly I think that this is extremely common – I remember someone telling me that 2 out of 3 women dislike their bodies? Thankfully these days despite being far from pinup material I feel much more accepting of my size and shape, and happy with where I am.
- I don’t find slim, model-looking people inspiring – I feel more like they’re an alien species rather than something that’s a realistically attainable goal for me. And, as horrible as it sounds, some self-defense mechanism in my brain likes to assume they are mean and/or dumb to balance out their attractiveness. Often after actually talking with people like this it turns out to not be the case at all. I apologise for the assumption; really it just means I think you’re hot.
- I’m just coming out of the famine part of the always a feast or a famine cycle of freelancing. It was pretty rough. There’s definitely a lot of good things about freelancing, but there’s also a lot of stress and uncertainty too. Imagine not being paid for a month – would you survive? I’m now heading into the feast part, which means more money but also a lot more working hours!
- I definitely sometimes have doubts about whether I’m doing the right thing in sticking with freelancing – usually during the ‘famines’. But I figure if there’s ever a time to be doing something like this, it’s now. I don’t want to be stuck with a mortgage and a kid wondering if I didn’t give myself enough of a chance to succeed working for myself.
- For some reason some people are under the impression I’m a good cook and we eat gourmet for every meal – but I’m not a very good cook! I rarely make anything inedible, but generally it’s pretty average. I usually try to put in some effort though, and absolutely refuse to eat packaged dinners or a dinner consisting only of steamed vegetables.
- Also, if I’ve given you the impression that I’m a star dressmaker, I’m definitely not! I’m incredibly slow and inaccurate with sewing, and am slowly getting better at the basics.
- I’ve completely converted to full fat dairy and I’m never going back.
- I’m an extremely passive aggressive jogger. I mentally abuse people I jog past, especially if they block my way or have a good body. I don’t mean it. Really.
Got any secrets or something to come clean about on your blog?