I’ve changed my exercise routine a bit lately, partially egged on and trained by Ms T. She said that she hoped I enjoyed it, and I couldn’t completely say that I did. I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to get to a point where exercise is something that I do simply because I enjoy it, rather than because I have to.
For me, doing exercise is like cleaning. It’s not my favourite thing in the world to do. There are other (less productive) things that I’d often rather do. Sometimes I’ll make excuses and put it off. But it is a necessary evil to keep things in ship shape and running smoothly, and if I neglect it for long I can feel it dragging me down. Depending on how it’s done, it sometimes gives me time to ponder things on my own or chat with people, which are things that I do enjoy. Sometimes it makes a nice break or distraction from something else (like work), so I actually look forward to it. When completed there’s a sense of relief and satisfaction of getting something useful done, ticking it off the mental checklist.
Anyway, here’s my current exercise routine:
- Group fitness classes in the park Mondays and Wednesdays (can’t recommend this class enough – I’ve now managed to stick with it for over a year, making it the longest I’ve stuck with any form of exercise by a long shot).
- Pilates mat class on Thursdays – more low key, but I’m hoping that the core strength will help my back problems and (slowly improving but still very weak) ab muscles.
- Zombie running missions or interval training with Ms T on Saturdays.
- Pilates DVD with Ms T and Ms N on Sundays.
- Extra walking/cycling when I feel like it.
- 5 minutes of morning yoga when I have the time for it.
This is actually quite a lot of exercise for me! But then again, I do really love my food so have to work for it. Apart from the group classes this routine is fairly new; hopefully I’ll stick to it despite not being at a point where I love exercise for its own sake.
Do you exercise much? Do you enjoy it?